Subject: Any VAX 11/750 fundies with NetBSD running?
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Andre B. Skarzynski <andre@VECTOR.CO.ZA>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/15/1995 09:14:55
Hi,

I have been struggling for days now to try and get NetBSD/vax on my 11/750 at home.
Bertram has been helping me alot, and I think I now have a better idea how things are
put together...

The 750 has floating point unit, 8 megs of ram, Emulex disk controller which looks like
a UDA50 to the system, one NEC751 and one Fujitsu M2333K on the controller, ethernet,
eight serial lines, tu58 on console (ofcourse) and ts11 tape system. I have VMS 5.4
running nicely on the system with tcpip support.

What I am trying to do, seeing as I have no support boot tape devices for NetBSD, is to
COPY the NetBSD root images onto UDA1 (the Fujitsu) and boot from this. This works. I
have tried miniroot-10A.fs, microroot-10A.fs, and Rick's root.fs. They all boot but as
soon as the boot program tries to load anything, it just drops out back to the cosnsole
>>> prompt.

I have tried >>> B/3 DUA1 just to see, and I get to the Nboot: prompt, but if I type
anything there be it racopy or even just vmunix I am back at >>>> 854b....
Even with the root.fs of Rick's, the same happens, and that is a whole root dd image.

I once COPY'd a truncated root.fs, (actually by accident!) so that only the bootblocks
where there but no /boot and it then actually came back with "File not found".... So,
it seems that when /boot does load.... but does not run when load a kernel or racopy.

I do have a NetBSD/i386 system, so Bertram suggested I put pcs750.bin onto a microroot,
which I did successfully, but it still gave the same problems when booting as previously.
I also _don't_ see the message "Updating 11/750 microcode:".

Oh, yes, I have been trying to boot this as DUA1... maybe I should try DUA0... rather.
(I did, actually, but it was with the brocken truncated image)

I know this is rather a disjointed post, but maybe someone who has NetBSD on a 11/750
can help me.

Cheers,

Andre'