Subject: VAX 11/750 - Seafood dinner
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Dave Arthur <ARTHUR_DAVE@burridge-1.burridge.nscc.ns.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/14/1995 08:56:22
I apologize if this is not the correct place for this.....

Our college has been given three VAX machines.

We have the following systems

one  11/730
one 11/750
one VAX 8200

Between all I have 5 RA81 drives and 2 large open reel tape drives.
The 11/730 and 11/750 have small cartridge tape drives on their front
panel and the VAX 8200 has a RX50 floppy. The VAX 8200 and the 11/750
have an ethernet port each.

My intention is to set up the 11/750 ( That's the only one I can find
an op sys for now.. ). I would setup two or three of the RA81's with
it. I'm afraid I haven't looked to see how much RAM it has or if its
multiprocessor ( If that was possible )..

What were typical configs for an 11/750 ?

We have a PC network ( 250 machines ) on Novell with a few Linux machines doing
Internet serving etc. I would like to set up the VAX as an Internet
server and auxilary file storage.. ( Using Samba ). What kind of
performance could I expect out of the 11/750 in this role? I realize
that the VAX 8200 is a newer faster machine... but at this time the
11/750 is it.... If I could expect service exqual to pentium or the
like then it would be fine... anything slower and I might be wasting
my time.....

Oh.. about the dinner... If you want to come to Yarmouth in Nova
Scotia I'd be glad to have you over for some good seafood.... course
you'd have to twist a wrench on one of the VAXes

Many Thanks for any info...

* Dave Arthur                        *
* Business Instructor                *
* NSCC Burridge Campus               *