Subject: Booting on VAX 11/750
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Andre B. Skarzynski <andre@vector.co.za>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/12/1995 08:39:30
Hi,

Well, got started on the road to NetBSD on my VAX 11/750 last night. I currently
have two SMD disks on an Emulex controller, soon to be three (I hope). Anyway,
the system is running VMS 5.4. So, I took the miniroot-10A.fs from
ifib17.ifib.uni-karlsruhe.de, labeledit'ed to reflect my spare disk, a Fujitsu
M2333K. Due to the fact, that the tu58 are not supported yet, and that I can't
boot from ts11, I to just COPY the miniroot onto UDA2 (my Fujitsu), when mounted
/FORIEGN.

Now, when I boot it, eg >>>B UDA2

I get on the console (this is form memory).

howto 0x4 bdev 0x11 booting...
_

The little spinner spins a few times, three I think, and then stops and nothing
happens. Seems as if the boot program is working but not loading the kernel.

If I do, >>>B/4 UDA2

it actually prompts for a partition, and if I say choose 'b', just for the
hell of it, it will actually say booting from b giving the offset I had put in the
disklabel, but ofcourse returns with an error 21 or something as there is no FS in
swap ofcourse :). So, it seems as if the booting is getting stuck..., but sort of
working. Now, how does one work out where it is getting stuck? :-/

I am going to do some more digging around, but if anyone has some ideas that may
help, please say something. I am grabbing at straws here.

Cheers4now,

Andre'