Subject: SCSI and VS2000/MV2000/MV II
To: Charles Streible <cls@streible.net>
From: Jonathan Sturges <jonathan@cc.odu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/01/1995 08:21:06
On Mon, 31 Jul 1995, Charles Streible wrote:
> Hi, all.  To answer some questions, I currently own a VS2000 and a
> MV2000, each using Clearpoint memory expansions, to give me a total of
> 16Mb.  The SCSI-like connector has been of some debate over the years,
> but is not compatible with SCSI, from what I was able to gather.  I have
> the pin-outs somewhere, along with a few articles about the console
> subsystem, memory, displays, etc. for the 2000.  If I can dig them up,
> I'll announce it.

This has given me food for thought.  See, one thing I've been worrying
about is the day my RD54 dies.  Realistically, this is probably within a
year; its bearings already whine sometimes.  I'm surely not going to replace
it; companies that know what an XT-2190 is still sell 'em (used, I
imagine) for $300!
So what can you do?
I figure, I'll probably stick a small disk in it's place, like an RD32,
or maybe even an RD31.  I've got a couple of them, I think.  Then, put
your root (and swap?) on this device, but have all other filesystems
either mounted via NFS, or, have SCSI drive(s) attached (even if you can't
boot off of it) with your other filesystems on it.
Now, that brings 2 questions up:
1)  Does this sound feasible?
2)  I've got a MicroVAX II, so I think the NFS option is my only option.
Or, is there a SCSI card (even if you can't boot) for the Q22 bus?

thanks,
Jonathan