Subject: RD54 replacement
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <rick@snowhite.cis.uoguelph.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/01/1995 10:51:41
Hi,

   Now, that brings 2 questions up:
   1)  Does this sound feasible?

RD32 is fine, but I don't think (can someone else verify this?) that the
RD31 is supported by the RQDX3. (I think RD53, RD53, RD54 and RD32 were the
only hard drives the RQDX3 understood.)

   2)  I've got a MicroVAX II, so I think the NFS option is my only option.
   Or, is there a SCSI card (even if you can't boot) for the Q22 bus?

There are second source Q22 SCSI cards that emulate an MSCP disk controller.
(We have a Dilog one around here.) With one of these, you can toss the RQDX3
in the trash and boot right off the SCSI drive.

Have fun, rick
ps: I've seen an RD53 with whinny bearings go for five years, so there may be
    a few miles left in it anyhow.