Subject: Re: disklabel / labeledit
To: None <bertram@ifib.uni-karlsruhe.de>
From: Ken Wellsch <kcwellsc@math.uwaterloo.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/27/1995 09:33:34
| # /dev/rra1c:
| type: MSCP
| disk: rd53
| label:
| flags:
| bytes/sector: 512
| sectors/track: 18
| tracks/cylinder: 8
| sectors/cylinder: 144
| cylinders: 963
| rpm: 3600

Out of curiousity, does anyone know why the physical disk geometry is
not being used here?  I've noted BSD has this geometry from way back.
I do understand that not all blocks are available due to MSCP and the
RQDX3 label info etc. but I had hoped that unlike modern SCSI disks where
I wonder how much the smart ffs fights the smart drive, at least MSCP
is almost as dumb as the SMD stuff that ffs is designed for and might
actually do better if the geometry matched.

>From the Ultrix 4.2A /etc/disktab file:

 rd53|RD53|DEC RD53 Winchester:\
	:ty=winchester:ns#17:nt#8:nc#1024:\
	:pa#32768:ba#8192:fa#1024:\
	:pb#50160:bb#4096:fb#1024:\
	:pc#138672:bc#8192:fc#1024:\
	:pg#55744:bg#8192:fg#1024:\
	:ph#105904:bh#8192:fh#1024:

A Micropolis 1325 is 17 sct/trk, 8 heads and 1024 cylinders as far
as I know, even with an RQDX controller.