Subject: Re: root on a etc.
To: None <michel@nijenrode.nl>
From: Bertram Barth <bertram@ifib.uni-karlsruhe.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/27/1995 15:07:38
> A small comment about this: I've read some NetBSD dox about labeledit (I
> beleive the docs that came with 386i port) and it seems that the
> default partitioning done when booting the bootimages and writing the
> image to disk, partitions the disk in a non-BSD standard way with regard
> to the partition that represents the entire disk.... (if I recall
> correctly, the vax-port uses partition g for this, while the bsd standard(?)
> implies partition d.

NetBSD/i386 uses 'c' for the whole disk and 'd' for the complete
BSD-partion. If BSD is the only operating system and uses thus the
whole disk, then 'd' is sometimes used as a regular partition, but
usually 'd' is unused. (install.sh doesn't use 'd' for regular part.)

old BSD disktabs for vax use 'c' for the whole disk and 'd' as a regular
partition.

labels generated by install.sh and labels in miniroot/microroot use
the same layout as i386: 'a' for root, 'b' for swap, 'c' for the whole
disk, 'd' unused, 'e'-'h' for additional (non-specialized) partitions ...

> I may be mistaken here, but if I'm not, isn't it a better idea to follow
> the standard ?

Yes, but what's the standard?  :)

Ciao,
	bertram