Subject: Re: root on a etc.
To: None <bertram@ifib.uni-karlsruhe.de>
From: Michel van der Laan <michel@nijenrode.nl>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/27/1995 14:20:14

> This is what "labeledit" is intended for. I don't know if anybody else
> uses it, but I use it to place a label holding all the partitions I want
> to have on my disk into the miniroot's bootblocks. Then racopy copies
> the bootblocks/label to disk and the partitions are setup.

A small comment about this: I've read some NetBSD dox about labeledit (I
beleive the docs that came with 386i port) and it seems that the
default partitioning done when booting the bootimages and writing the
image to disk, partitions the disk in a non-BSD standard way with regard
to the partition that represents the entire disk.... (if I recall
correctly, the vax-port uses partition g for this, while the bsd standard(?)
implies partition d.

I may be mistaken here, but if I'm not, isn't it a better idea to follow
the standard ?

Michel.