Subject: more bootstrapping fun
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <rick@snowhite.cis.uoguelph.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/27/1995 10:49:22
Hi,

   This is what "labeledit" is intended for. I don't know if anybody else
   uses it, but I use it to place a label holding all the partitions I want
   to have on my disk into the miniroot's bootblocks. Then racopy copies
   the bootblocks/label to disk and the partitions are setup.

I may have misinterpreted what he was trying to do, but I thought that he
was trying to build a NetBSD system disk on a machine running VMS or Ultrix.
(ie. labeledit is great, but how do you run it until you have at least a
 floppy booted under NetBSD. Could an Ultrix executable of labeledit be
 made?)

Way back when, I worked on a BSD pmax port and the pmax I had had only one
disk. As such, the BSD root and swap were on Ultrix's 'e' and 'f' and I booted
the kernel out of the Ultrix 'a' partition. (I hardwired the partition table
into the BSD driver, making sure it was the same as the Ultrix one and
the root/swap device in the BSD kernel to make it work.
Something along these lines would be yet another way to get NetBSD going on
a vax, especially something like a 750, until tape boot code is created.)

rick