Subject: Re: disklabel / labeledit
To: None <bertram@ifib.uni-karlsruhe.de>
From: Ken Wellsch <kcwellsc@math.uwaterloo.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/27/1995 11:56:30
| Assuming that partitions end on cylinder boundaries, using the
| physical disk geometry would leave some sectors unused:
|
| 17*8*1019 = 138584, unused: 88
|
| So specifying the physical paramters for sectors/tracks/cylinders
| might result in a better filesystem layout. The tradeoff will be
| losing 88 blocks ("nn blocks unallocated in last cylinder ...");

Since the MSCP stuff consumes sections of the disk for labeling and bad
block replacement etc. that may be well before the "end" of the drive,
then using the physical geometry is likely a dumb suggestion on my part
(since logical blocks will not necessarily match the geom. and loosing
88 blocks is dumb on such a small disk).  Going with the approach used
with SCSI drives of picking a useful triple (as done with the BSD entry
for the RD53) sounds wise.  Now I understand the disktab entry with BSD.

-- Ken