Subject: booting without a tk50, etc.
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <rick@snowhite.cis.uoguelph.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/25/1995 11:15:14
If you don't have a tk50 or network connection, the only way I can think of
that you can bootstrap would be along the following lines:

- put root.fs on an RDxx drive as blocks 0-N (how you do this is another
  question, but plugging the drive into another system running Ultrix and
  using dd is one possibility)

- if you get that far, the disk should boot single user when installed in
  the target uvaxii.

  - to build a /usr, you might try either..
    - doing the newfs after booting the root single user and then laoding
      the tar files from another drive (the file system will have to be
      some variant of UFS/FFS. Ultrix's fs might be mountable read-only)
    or
    - build root and /usr on a system running an older variant of BSD or
      Ultrix by doing "newfs" and de-archiving on that system. To get this
      to work you will have to make sure the disk partition sizes used are
      the same as the default label and will have to dd the first 16 sectors
      to the disk with the boot blocks at the end.

None of these are easy or straightforward and I don't even know for sure
what will actually work, rick