Subject: Re: Kermit Versions
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG, zach@acsu.buffalo.edu>
From: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@mbfys.kun.nl>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/25/1995 16:20:13
Kevin Zachmann <zach@acsu.buffalo.edu> wrote:
> With this OS [VMS 4.5] and kermit executable, one cannot reliably transfer binaries!
> The docs make mention exchanging P/OS and RT11 files and explicitly
> state that some forms of data will not transfer correctly. I found out
> it's binary data. Setting the file type to fixed is not the solution.
> Yes, you get a 512 byte record file, no it's not usable.

I don't know that much about VMS, but various Unix utilities that
are ported seem to use the stream-lf filetype as a substitute for
binary files. Zoo for example comes with a utility to convert a file
to steam-lf (or something along those lines).

-Olaf.
--
     Have you indecently fucked this Exon idiot and his allies today?
___              Copyright 1995 Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert. All Rights Reserved.