Subject: Re: Installing NetBSD/VAX
To: Michel van der Laan <michel@nijenrode.nl>
From: Jonathan Sturges <jonathan@cc.odu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/25/1995 08:30:21
On Tue, 25 Jul 1995, Michel van der Laan wrote:
> > I attempted to make a bootable tape by using dd to put first miniroot.fs
> > and then root.cpio onto a TK-50.  At this stage, I just wanted to test
> > and see if it would actually boot, etc., before I decide to blow away my
> > hard disk.
> >
> > Anyway, I did everything per the instructions, but it won't boot from the
> > tape.  Is there something special I need to do to the tape to make it
> > bootable, or should writing miniroot.fs to the beginning of the tape be
> > enough?
>
> It should be, but for me it didn't work either; I have a 'portable'
> TK50 drive with SCSI that I plugged into several unix boxes but none
> really liked the TK50 drive to write data to; small files it
> could handle, so it seemed, but got mutilated in the process and
> the vax wouldn't boot with the tape.
> <snip>

Well, I got it to work.  For my second attempt, I tried writing out the
microroot.nfs image to a TK50, and that *did* boot.  So then I went back,
and re-wrote the miniroot.fs image to the same tape, and everything seems
to be cool now... :)

thanks...
Jonathan

PS- I've been using Ultrix 3.1 to write out the images to tape...