Subject: Kermit Versions
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kevin Zachmann <zach@acsu.buffalo.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/24/1995 13:23:43
I noted the idea of using kermit to transfer some data, although
it's to an architecture that will need more work...

I myself thought it'd be great (well, painful) to kermit some
of the binaries from work to home. I'm still in the bootstrap phase
but do have VMS 4.5 on the uVaxII, and it does read the TS11 compatible
9track. Anyway, I found out the hard way and then read the docs.

With this OS and kermit executable, one cannot reliably transfer binaries!
The docs make mention exchanging P/OS and RT11 files and explicitly
state that some forms of data will not transfer correctly. I found out
it's binary data. Setting the file type to fixed is not the solution.
Yes, you get a 512 byte record file, no it's not usable.

My solution to date has been to cut/dd the files as 400k onto tape,
copy the tape files to RX50, and then proceed from there.

Zach	working with a personal uVaxII
--------
Kevin Zachmann			Unix Technical Support Services
zach@acsu.buffalo.edu		Computing and Information Technology
				State University of New York at Buffalo