Subject: vs2000 stuff
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <rick@snowhite.cis.uoguelph.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/24/1995 10:58:02
Hi,

   Another thing. The main box has something on it that looks like a SCSI
   connector. Is it that? If so, perhaps something could be done about the
   frightening lack of disk space. If I interpret the pile of paper right,
   the 6M of real memory seems to be the maximum supported.  Is that
   really true? 6M seems a bit small, especially to run VMS in :-)

The TK50 tape is attached via a SCSI-1 bus (no synchronous dma support), but
DEC never supported any disks on it (I believe some third party did do this
by distributing a driver, but I don't think it knew how to boot them..).
The external connector not used by the TK50 is an RDxx disk interface
that was used to connect a second RDxx hard drive.

The 78032 cpu chip can support 16Mbytes, however the KA410 motherboard (vs2000)
only supports one memory expansion module and DEC only ship 2 and 4 Mbyte ones.
(there is 2Mbytes on the motherboard, for a total of 4 or 6) Again, some third
party memory providers did supply larger capacity memory expansion cards for
them (I specifically remember a 12Mbyte one). I think that you needed a modified
console rom as well as one of these larger memory expansion cards to make it
work. (ie. If you find a non-DEC memory card that has more than 4Mbytes on it,
check to see if you need a modified console rom to make it work.) Does anyone
else have the scoop on these memory cards?

Have fun, rick
ps: As someone else noted, there is quite a bit of work needed to port to
    the vs2000 and the port won't work now.