Subject: Microvax 2000
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG, rhialto@mbfys.kun.nl>
From: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@mbfys.kun.nl>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/24/1995 00:41:27
Hi! A friend of mine got a free microvax 2000 recently. It has (if I
recall all details correctly :-) 6M of RAM, about 170M of disk, two
vt320s (one as console), an ethernet connector, a terminal multiplexer,
and a RK50 tape. No floppy. Installed is VMS 5.0.1something, of which
he has all the original tapes and quite a lot of documentation
(sufficient to break in the SYSTEM account, which was needed because
the person who would give him the password was on vacation).

I looked through the recent parts of the mailing list archive, and
some of the source, and I saw that uVAX II's are supported. Is a
uVAX 2000 "more" or "less" than that, i.e., would it run NetBSD now
or would it need extra work?

Fortunately some kind soul has installed kermit on it so once empty
tapes are found, performing the bootstrapping procedure as I found
in the archives should not pose any problems (in theory).

Another thing. The main box has something on it that looks like a SCSI
connector. Is it that? If so, perhaps something could be done about the
frightening lack of disk space. If I interpret the pile of paper right,
the 6M of real memory seems to be the maximum supported.  Is that
really true? 6M seems a bit small, especially to run VMS in :-)

-Olaf.
--
     Have you indecently fucked this Exon idiot and his allies today?
___              Copyright 1995 Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert. All Rights Reserved.