Subject: TU58 drivers for 11/750?
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brian Murray <brian@demon.comms.unsw.EDU.AU>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/22/1995 17:05:23
Are there TU58 tape drivers working in the '750 kernel? I know that
it will never work reliably because of the braindead serial interface
it uses, but has anyone gotten a driver for it up and running?
If not, where can I get info for how to write my own?

P.S. Planning to get my '750 up and running with NetBSD real-soon-now....
Its running Version 7 Unix at the moment, so I can dd images onto my
RA81's, the tricky part is getting meg's worth of stuff into it ....
I'll have to ask my friendly university to dump some stuff onto
a 9 track tape I think (I've got an ethernet card, but Version 7 knows
nothing about what a network is).

I have 2 RA81's connected and accesible through Version 7, so what I plan
to do is get all the stuff on to the first disk, dd miniroot.fs into
the second, and (here comes the hopefully clever part, as the 9 track
drive I have is a TS11 compatible which I don't believe NetBSD supports
yet - correct me if I am wrong) dump the cpio archives directly into
unused partitions on the first RA81 which I should be able to do something
like
	dd if=/dev/rraxxxx | cpio -i
to extract into NetBSD land once it has booted from the miniroot.fs.

I probably haven't read the instructions deeply enough, so forgive me if
these are stupid questions : Does the miniroot.fs include the disk label,
boot blocks etc, sufficient to boot up the RA81, so that all I have to do
is dd miniroot.fs into the first n blocks of the RA81? If so, then I think
I should be on the way ... wish me luck on my journey to the promised
land!!

If that all works, I'll start cracking on drivers for TS11, Interlan NI1010,
DZ11 and TU58 ....

brian@demon.comms.unsw.edu.au CBR600F Apple//c VAX 11/750 SGI Indigo