Subject: Re: TU58 drivers for 11/750?
To: Brian Murray <brian@demon.comms.unsw.EDU.AU>
From: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/22/1995 17:11:58

> Are there TU58 tape drivers working in the '750 kernel? I know that
> it will never work reliably because of the braindead serial interface
> it uses, but has anyone gotten a driver for it up and running?
> If not, where can I get info for how to write my own?
There are no working TU58 drivers yet. I am about to write one
some day, but it may take some time before that. There are 2
versions of TU58 drivers, the usual console driver without
MRSP and some with MRSP. If you use an Unibus based TU58 it
always uses MRSP.
I only know about the non-MRSP console driver, it is an easy
thing that uses interrupts to work. See VAX hardware guide for
more info about this.

About booting hopefully someone else can help you; I don't know
anyone who has made an installation on 11/750 yet, but it should
be rather straightforward.

It should be easy to get your Interlan card to work, to get
DEC DEUNA cards work required almost no code changes at all.
Use 4.4BSD sources.

If you plan to work on something please tell me so that I can
coordinate people's work. Double-work is unnecessary :-)

Good luck/Ragge