Subject: Re: NETBSD on uVAX 630QB
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bertram Barth <bertram@ifib.uni-karlsruhe.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/21/1995 10:19:11
> > > Maybe it would be best to remove the actual version of microroot.nfs
> > > from the archives. I think nobody is using it and nobody will miss it.
> >
> > Oh - please - don't remove it! As TK50s tend to be broken (I have only
> > one working TK50 but many which just *eat* the tape :-) one needs to be
> > able to install NetBSD from RX50. Then you need microroot.nfs!
>
> You can split miniroot.fs into smaller parts on RX50, can't you ?

Yes, you can. But it's a difference if you need 3 RX50 / 1 RX33 for
microroot or 7 RX50 / 3 RX33 for miniroot. If you install from tape,
then microroot is not at all interesting.

With crunched binaries it might be even possible to have minimal set
of tools which fits into 800k / 2 RX50.

> Maybe it's possible to squeeze in a few more tools in the microroot.nfs ?

Yes, it is possible. With crunched binaries it possible to make
vmunix,init,sh,mount,mount_nfs,ls,echo,expr,tar,gzip and some more tools
fit into 1200k / 1 RX33 / 3 RX50.

Ciao,
	bertram