Subject: MOP booting
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <rick@snowhite.cis.uoguelph.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/28/1995 12:12:38
Hi,

   It could be worth a try... if nothing else works. Yes, please. :-)

I'll add it to the ftp archive as "root.fs.gz" sometime to-day.

   Here is another problem, chalange. :-)
   A friend here at work has a MicroVAX II with no tapes, and he was wondering
   if one could maybe boot a minimal netbsd from another VAX using MOP (used to
   boot one diskless VAX from another... ok thes is a VAX/VMS farm here...)

First off, I have no idea what trickery would have to performed on the MOP
server to get it to download the "miniroot.fs" file to the client, but it
would be "really nice" if someone could figure it out:-) (I was thinking
of trying to do this for the Ultrix MOP server, but haven't gotten around
to it yet:-)

Second, I am not sure if you can get racopy to work after loaded in off the
net device, but.. it would be nice if it could.

One of the reasons that I stuck that "really green" snapshot up is that we
really need some help figuring out how to bootstrap all the weird variants
of vax out there.

Keep at it, rick