Subject: vax port on snowhite
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ken Wellsch <kcwellsc@math.uwaterloo.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/26/1995 11:50:15
Many thanks to Rick for making this image available!  It was suggested
I could mention some of what I went through to put it onto a uVAX-II.

I took the TK50 route of the choices offered.  When the docs mention
vmunix, ignore that as there is only "netbsd" on the image.  The default
image that will boot is also called vmunix so you tend to b/3 to provide
e.g. ra(0,0)netbsd until you can create a link to vmunix.

After getting miniroot onto a disk and having used that to build to root
partition from the root.cpio, be sure to say "ra0a" when asked for the
root partition when you boot the new root image (I was using things like
ra0* from previous experience and that nicely gave me my old miniroot
image instead).

I wasn't sure why racopy wanted to always install on the a-partition of
a disk then optionally onto another partition.  Would it not always be
true that I would want to install only onto b so that I can continue to
bootstrap to a full root fs image?  Although the docs do say something
later in what I think may be the NFS section that you cannot mount ra0a
anywhere but on / which would make booting on ra0b rather useless if true.
I used my second disk just to avoid any trouble... I as wearing out the
TK50 image with things like forgetting to add /3 to "b mua0" 8-)

Sorry about more whining but if racopy could not ask for image size when
input is tms or tape that would also be great!  I suspect reading to the
end of file is the right thing from tape.

Of course the root fs comes up read-only and not knowing whether I could
do a -o remount or whatever to make it writeable, I had to use a second
disk image to gain access to the root.cpio partition to create an fstab
etc. and then to do some disklabeling as I'm working with RD54s.

Oh yes, I found most of the time I could not umount a partition once I'd
mounted it (e.g. to unload root.cpio or while playing with my new /usr).
It was always bury and no I was cd'ed to / to avoid this 8-)

Other than three or four panics from either "ed" or later "vi" while
playing with root files things ran all right.  Alas the root.cpio image
is missing loads of things like "awk" so I couldn't run MAKEDEV pty0 and
I ended up taking over a copy of GNU tar from an old 4.3 tahoe system
we have so I could unload the usr images.

I had multiple zcat/tar's running as well as a dump/restore to make a
root partition backup and that all ran peachy.  I also had no trouble
hauling the usr images over the network once I had root.cpio installed.