Subject: Re: Anybody know any secret hardware voodoo?
To: port-vax <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John Maier <JohnAM@datastorm.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/14/1995 09:10:00
I've got an old Segate 80meg MFM that exhibits similar symptoms, it spins
up, does the startup check and then without warning shuts down after about
30 sec.

Talking to one person, they seemed to remember that these drives would
startup, and do a read of the bootsector.  If the bootsect was unreadable,
or there was a problem, the drive would spin back down (I don't claim to
understand the logic with this).  However don't dismiss the possibility a
capacitor has gone or something.

jam