Subject: Re: Anybody know any secret hardware voodoo?
To: Ken Wellsch <kcwellsc@math.uwaterloo.ca>
From: Tim Shoppa <shoppa@krl.caltech.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/14/1995 11:03:40
> Have you tried the FE version of uVAXen
> diagnostics?  I've used XXDP+ once and recall the FE version is pretty much
> the same thing.  Unlike the "customer formatter" which is really a reformat
> I think and fails often, you get to do a variety of things including a "first
> time format" of a drive which is spiffy after a PC scrub.

No, I haven't used the FE formatter; all I've tried (with very little
success) was the "customer formatter."  I was so disgusted with the
"customer formatter" that I kept a VS2000 around whose only purpose
is to reformat MFM disks.  Would the FE package
be available from DECdirect, maybe?  If it's cheap and available,
it sounds like it may be a bit more portable than carrying around a VS2000
to format disks.

Tim. (shoppa@altair.krl.caltech.edu)