Subject: Re: assorted fun
To: None <rick@snowhite.cis.uoguelph.ca>
From: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/02/1995 23:47:55

> I have built a root fs and kernel from NetBSD-current of about two weeks
> ago and have it booting single user on a uvaxii, but have run into the
> following problems:
>
> - It accesses the file system read-only fine, but trashes any new files it
>   creates. Fsck finds the inode type bad after you reboot and fsck the file
>   system.
Strange... that's a new problem... did you build with -O flag?
I'm myself are only using old-fashioned filesystem type so far
to be able to use Reno sometimes... (But probably not needed anymore)

> - Disklabel always seems to complain that the "c" partition is the wrong
>   size (either to big or too small/offset) no matter what size you make
>   it, including the size reported by the driver for the drive. (It currently
>   talks to the disk, reporting it's unlabelled, but I can't seem to come
>   up with a way to get the dang label on it.:-)
What disk type are you using?

> - Assorted utilities segentation fault. (Since ones I had built from
>   NetBSD-1.0 sources with vax libc support merged in from 4.4BSD-Lite are ok,
>   I've got a hunch this one is a libc problem, but...) Since the kernel
>   doesn't write a core dump, it's a little hard to tell what is causing them
>   to grap out.
This may depends on:
1) Your GCC doesn't define _NetBSD_ while compiling. Some programs
breaks then.
2) Your programs uses regex from libc which didn't work until a
couple of days ago when I found what caused the problem.

Kernel core dumps are fixed now, so also gdb so that debugging
of running processes will work. I will commit these changes
as soon as core dump debug support is working. (Still missing
ability to read registers in core dump). Probably done next
week.

> Anyhow, I'm having fun and will plug away at them if nobody else knows how
> to fix em, rick

Your filesystem troubles were strange, I've not heard about
anyone who have had this type of trouble before.

-- Ragge