Subject: nautilus, dragons
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul A Vixie <paul@vix.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/01/1995 15:33:50
The 8530 (a Nautilus-class machine) has a BI bus and the support for it
will have to be upgraded starting from Chris Torek's excellent (hardly
brain dead!) 4.3BSD support.  Its Pro/350 (or was that a Pro/380?)
console is not an issue for us, it is entirely analagous to the LSI-11
that boots a 78x or to the onboard T-11 in an 86x0.  Once we have a VMB.EXE
that we like, it's just a matter of getting it onto a floppy somehow.
VMB.EXE is always native VAX code, and is independent of the console
processor whose job is only to upload it to the VAX and make it "run".

The GPX (code name "Dragon" if I remember right) was supported by the MIT
X10 and X11 X Servers as a "QDSS", and although this code may not be in
the current MIT release, it can surely be resurrected and upgraded to
the latest MIT code base.  The QDSS when operating in non-graphics mode
emulates a dumb terminal at least to the point of answering the right ROM
calls for console I/O.  This means we have to use the ROM calls unless we
want to hack up system specific console drivers.  (I recommend the ROM
call approach since it makes the 78x and 86x0 and Nautilus machines
easier to port to, as well.)

I can't believe how many of my brain cells are wasted by holding down this
information.