Subject: Re: distribution
To: Paul A Vixie <paul@vix.com>
From: Andre Skarzynski <abs@itu3.sun.ac.za>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/01/1995 11:33:23
Paul A Vixie wrote :

> I am pretty sure that a 725, 730 or 750 system that wants to boot from a TU58
> does so the same way it would boot from a hard disk -- by loading and executing
> the first N blocks on the tape.  Our big problem will come on 780 and 785
> systems, which need to load a named file from their floppy disks.  Once we have
> the VMB.EXE and RSPB stuff worked out solidly for the uVax, the rest of this
> will be pretty simple.  Distribution can be done the way I used to distribute
> X11 -- folks can send several blank tapes/floppies/whatever to a volunteer,
> along with a self addressed, postage affixed return mailer.  Anyone who is
> already running BSD on their VAX can just ftp the correct image and use "dd".

I would just like to add that this sounds like a good idea. I just hope we
have enough volunteers. :-) I only have VMS here on our VAXen :-(.

--
Andre B. Skarzynski  -- Information Technology, University of Stellenbosch --
abs@itu1.sun.ac.za   ------- Tel: +27 21 8084293 Fax: +27 21 8084102 --------