Subject: the port, gcc, etc...
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Joachim Thiemann <j_thiema@ECE.concordia.CA>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/10/1995 20:41:33
Hi,

I have just sucessfully compiled gcc on my uVax running Ultrix, (this was not
as easy as I had hoped it to be) and, though I am not sure yet what kind of
code it will produce, I am quite confident that I can now start to try
compiling NetBSD... I know (from looking at the vax code stuff on my Amiga
NetBSD) that quite a number of functions are not implemented yet...

How functional is it? Or is the main problem right now trying to get it to
boot? (I have an RX-50AA dual floppy drive, which I could install for that
purpose, should it be neccecary....)

Is it possible to try a kernel image by piping it to the Ultrix equivalent
of /dev/reload (as I do often with the Amiga), supposing there is such a device
and so use Ultrix to boot NetBSD?

I doubt anyone would simply erase /vmunix and replace it by a NetBSD /vmunix,
that is too much like loading the revolver and pointing it straight down... :)

As for my second question, I'm sure this is the wrong place to ask, but I'll
do so anyways...

I currently have 9 megs (1 meg on CPU and 2 4 meg boards) in my uVAX. I have
another 4 meg card, which I would like to install... Can I simply put it in,
replace the 3-headed 50-pin ribbon cable by a 4-headed one and Ultrix (and
eventually NetBSD) will use the full 13 megs (no, I am not superstitious)
Or are there some problems I should know about?

Thank you for any help.

Joachim "should be studying for mid-terms" Thiemann.