Subject: Re: distribution media
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Garry Page <gpage@melbpc.org.au>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/06/1994 20:12:45
Somewhere in this thread there was mention of a binary 'X' load through the
console serial port. It was provided on the 11/730, 11/750 etc and might
provide an initial boot from an IBM PC or better.

> Since (IMHO) a large part of the attraction of NetBSD/vax >is nostalgia
> value...

I hope to use NetBSD/VAX for the base of a Free-Net node, DZ-11s
are much more civilized than COM1: ... COM2: ... Oops out of
interrupts. This isn't nostalgia, its protecting ones sanity.

> BTW, is there any good information out there for people interested
> in getting a home vax? A list of the various models, their relative
> speeds and features, and approx current value? I've browsed
> _PROCESSOR_ and the like, but without knowing the obscure DEC part
> numbers it's not much help.

I haven't seen a document that has what you really need to select a home
system. I would suggest selection order would be cost, power requirements
(single phase/3-phase) plus cooling requirements, physical size
(Vax-11/782/Desktop), options (disk size etc), speed. The UseNet
VMS, DEC and Folklore.computers areas maybe more appropriate for this
discussion. My experience is limited to an 11/750 at home, it was the
machine I could afford to buy.

Regards,
Garry Page