Subject: Re: distribution media
To: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@rocinante.digex.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/04/1994 18:45:17
On October  4, you wrote:
> As I recall this is how the 7th Edition PDP-11 install worked. (And by
> recall, I mean from reading the manuals, that was before my time...
> Odly, these manuals were for the Altos 586, but contained the PDP install
> information). Anyway, there was I think a three-stage boot process. One

  Now *that's* wierd...  :-)

> keyed in a tiny loader, that loaded a bigger loader, that loaded the
> real loader. Since (IMHO) a large part of the attraction of NetBSD/vax
> is nostalgia value, it's fitting that it should install like the olden
> days :-)

  Nostalgia is a big part of it, but you'd be surprised at how useful
these boxes can be.  I know of dozens of installations that depend on
VAX hardware today, many of them running Ultrix, and many of those
would really like to run a more modern operating system.  Not
*everything* can be replaced by an Intel box... :)

  Now...NetBSD/pdp8 or NetBSD/11 would be nostalgic... :)

              -Dave