Port-sun3 archive

re: Xorg 1.20 1bpp server performance regression and possible fixes

great that you found the problem!

> I would like to commit changes to revert this fbtile.c removal
> into the NetBSD xsrc/external/mit/xorg tree, but I wonder how
> they should be applied.
>
> 1) Revert the whole commit as is (and put back fbtile.c to SRCS.fb
>    in src/external/mit/xorg/server/xorg-server/fb/Makefile.fb)
>
> 2) Put back the "fbEvenTile" and old "fbTile" to switch
>    "fbOddTile" (which is same as current fbTile) or "fbEvenTile"
>    into existing fb/fbfill.c as inline functions, to make
>    future import/merge less confusing
>
> 3) Ask xorg upstream to revert the change
>
> Of course the best way is 3) and 1), but I'm afread most people
> don't think it's worth to keep and maintain extra code for obsolete
> monochrome (and some 8bpp) servers and retro-computing geeks.

i don't have a particular opinion about #1 or #1 so please
do what you feel is best.  #3 should be done.  hopefully
they will accept reverting this change, or at least finding
a different solution...

please feel free to commit this support to our xsrc!

i am not sure who your hesitation came from, but i certainly
want xsrc to continue to support our older platforms and
very much appreciate your continued work here.  i will keep
merging changes forward as best i can when updating our xsrc
components.

thanks.

.mrg.