Subject: Re: TME emulator status: now works with SunOS ethernet
To: None <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp, port-sun3@NetBSD.org>
From: None <SigmFSK@aol.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 12/22/2006 15:50:46
tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp writes:
> abs@NetBSD.org  wrote:
>
>>      In particular, is it  worth looking at having the m68k  pkgsrc
>>      binary packages bulk build run  on TME? :)
>
>TME on my Duron 1300MHz PC seems as slow as real sun3  machines,
>but maybe it might be worth to try on more modern  hardware.
>---
>Izumi Tsutsui

I found that TME's performance, with an Intel processor, and UltraSparc II
processors that the ratio of host processor performance to emulated  processor
performance is between 40 and 50 to 1.

So a 3.8Ghz Intel host, produces an emulated Sun3 running about 3800 / 50  =
76 Mhz.  Or about twice as fast as the fastest Sun3(x), with a 33Mhz  68030
chip.

So you can't go wrong getting the fastest Intel or AMD chip and running the
emulator, but for ultimate NetBSD pkgsrc build performance, I would suggest
using the MVME177 board and running NetBSD directly on it.  With a 60Mhz  68060
and up to 256Mb memory, I think it might beat the emulator.   Wikipedia says
that the 68060 has 2 to 3 times the performance of the 68040 at  the same
clockrate.  So that would make it about 90Mhz equivalent.

/arthur