Subject: Re: stack limit for sun3/sun3x
To: None <SigmFSK@aol.com, jeremy@netbsd.org>
From: None <SigmFSK@aol.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 10/17/2006 13:00:36
I believe I've found a problem with NetBSD 3.0 for Sun3/Sun3x leaving the
maximum stack size at the initial stack size DFLSSIZ in vmparam3/vmparam3x  and
not increasing it to the maximum MAXSSIZ.

On a real sun3x running NetBSD 3.0, the maximum stack limit is 2Mb  (DFLSSIZ
in vmparam3x.h instead of the 32Mb MAXSSIZ). This is from examining the  SP
via GDB at the beginning of main, and when the stack overflows, generating a
seg fault (f7ffee20 - f7dffffc).  (test runs to 130786 recursive  calls).

On a TME emulated sun3 running NetBSD 3.0, the maximum stack limit is 512Kb
(DFLSSIZ in vmparam3.h instead of the 32Mb MAXSSIZ).  Same gdb/sp  examine
(dffedb0 - df7fffc).  (test runs to 32475 recursive calls).

It looks like TME is working, at least mostly well.  Running SunOS  4.1.1
stack limit test inside TME has almost the same results as on a real sun3  and
sun3x: approx 2Mb.  Inside TME, the SP check can run to 131051  recursive calls
before blowing up.  On a real sun3/sun3x, the SP check runs  to 131026.

/arthur