Subject: Re: Which gcc for c++ on a sun3 using sunos 4.1.1U1?
To: None <port-sun3@netbsd.org>
From: James E, Taylor <jtaylor@preciscom.net>
List: port-sun3
Date: 11/18/2003 17:30:09
Robert.

I have run gcc 1.3, 1.7. 2.3, 2.5, 2.8 on my  Sun 3/160 running SunOS 4.1.1.
I just go to the GNU site, download the latest version, let it compile for a
few days and install it.  On some versions, I have had to substitute the sun
code generator by replacing the gcc CG with a symlink to the factory one.
On one of these versions it gave instructions to do this if the generated
code would not load.  The problem seems to come and go.

I have run NetBSD 1.4.x 1.5.2, and 1.6.1 currently on my  Sun 3/60s.  I am
currently running a 3/50 as a firewall with IPFilter/IPNetwork Address
Translation.  Aliasing with DHCLIENT works just fine running a group of PC;s
with Windows 98 and my Sun 3/16 on a local network.

I was unable to get the tape boot to work when I started.  I had a lot of
experience running Sun 3's NFS at the ARL when I worked there for Cray, so I
just broke the basic necessary binary sets on the 3/160, placed the
necessary boot/tftpboot files in place, did a MAKEDEV before booting and
brought the system.  Comes up perfectly.  Once I'm up on NFS, I format my
disks, breakout the full binary sets or build from scratch onto the local
disk(s)., do a MAKEDEV, set the boot block and the fly flawlessly.
I leave the NFS material on the 3/160 permanently for maintenance, setting
the EEPROM diag boot for NFS booting and normal boot from the local disk,
When I upgrade, I just go into "maintenance mode" and build the new level
set t the configuration and reboot.  So, if you have another sun and some
spare disk space ...

best
James E. Taylor