Subject: Re: How many drives can a sun3 scsi bus really support?
To: None <kpneal@pobox.com>
From: James E, Taylor <jtaylor@preciscom.net>
List: port-sun3
Date: 11/09/2003 13:49:52
Kevin.

The boot prom does not have enough smarts to run the QIC-150 drive and start
the second level boot "taproot",
but it does manage to get the device boot loaded before it gives up.  When
you boot the second time the device-boot is already in memory and the boot
prom is not at the dead-start boot, so it runs the device-boot immediately.
This program, of course, talks QIC-150 so all is well in  Mudville.

At one time I had to use this "feature" to boot from a embedded scsi disc.
The PROM would only boot from an MD21 controller.  The PROM would not talk
to the embedded scsi drive.  The ESDI drive was damaged, but I could the
ufsboot from it.  I the told it to take the root from sd6, the scsi drive,
and all was well

There are three boots n the boot process, the PROM boot, the device=boot,
and the kernel boot. Most (some?) of the time when the boot fails. the
device-boot program is loaded and subsequent boots will start with that one,
unless you change devices.

I don't how to predict it, but when you find a sequence that works, it seems
to be absolutely reliable.

Best
James E. Taylor