Subject: Re: How many drives can a sun3 scsi bus really support?
To: , <jwbirdsa@hotmail.com>
From: James E, Taylor <jtaylor@preciscom.net>
List: port-sun3
Date: 11/02/2003 21:37:43
Robert,

Looks like I got confused about who I was writing to.  Note, even with the
newer improved connectors, the count is still important.  The connector
still dominates the factors that degrade performance.  You have described a
set-up with 11 connectors/

There is not enough potential benefit from changing out the DB-50 connector.
Unless you are very experienced and have the correct tools, you would
destroy the multilayer board attempting such a change.  The only "internal
scsi" connector I know of in a 3/60 is the P4 connector which is used for
the color monitors.  Although they have the same pinouts, I have never seen
any documentation that they use the same controller, or that the P$
connector uses the scsi protocol.  Note that there is no documented
restriction on the scsi address space, so there is no place for the video
card to be on the scsi buss.  If they did use a second scsi controller for
the video buss, there is no configuration option to be able to put a disc
drive on that buss.  It is basically hard coded to be used for video cards
only.

One inexpensive way to get a high number of drives onto your machine is to
get a used AT or ATX case and have an internal cable made by your local
cable monger or a company like CSC for $30-50.  You can also find scsi
server cables in the used bins at used computer stores.  This reduces the
connector count.

Note the engineering for the external data buses were not designed for high
box count.  It was expected that there would be one or two boxes connected.
If high device counts were desired, it was expected that larger cases would
be used.  There is nearly no perceptible impedance  bump produced by an
internal connector.

best
Jim