Subject: GCC flags?
To: None <port-sun3@netbsd.org>
From: Henry R. Bent <hbent@cs.oberlin.edu>
List: port-sun3
Date: 01/13/2003 00:41:38
Hi all,

I noticed something odd when checking default compile flags today.  For
reference, this is the release version of 1.6 running on a 3/60.

I have a file blah.c that contains the single line "main () {}" that I use for
testing.  Saying gcc -v -Q blah.c gives a lot of output, but the things I'm
interested in are here:

options enabled:  -fpeephole -ffunction-cse -fkeep-static-consts
 -fpcc-struct-return -fcommon -fgnu-linker -fargument-alias -fident -m68020
 -mc68020 -mbitfield -m68881 -m68030 -m68332 -mcpu32

This implies that GCC is generating 68030 code for my 68020 system, which is
presumably being emulated?  You'll forgive my relative ignorance, as I'm mostly
a MIPS person.  This seems like an awfully slow way to do things, though I've
not yet had a chance to cross-build my own copy of GCC for speed comparison.
Can anyone offer any insight?

--
Henry Bent
hbent@cs.oberlin.edu