Subject: Re: disklabelling for sunos and netbsd
To: schaecsn <schaecsn@gmx.de>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: port-sun3
Date: 07/31/2001 19:35:42
    Date:        Tue, 31 Jul 2001 04:53:05 -0700
    From:        schaecsn <schaecsn@gmx.de>

  | I am not sure if I do understand that disklabeling scheme. Can I install
  | sunos and netbsd on 1 disk?

Yes, though you need to be a bit careful about how some assumptions
about what means what are handled (eg: things that simply assume
that 'a' is root).

  | If so, is this the correct disklabelling scheme:

It looks to be a way that would work, though unless you have some
particularly good reason, you only need one swap partition - swap is
useful only when the OS is running (and immediately after a crash
sometimes if you do panic dumps).   Sharing swap space should work
just fine.

There's no one partiularly correct layout though, others would work
just as well.

  | are the disklabels of sunos and netbsd compatible, anyway? if not ...

Not directly - but NetBSD maintains a SunOS compatible copy of its
label - so as long as you do all the label editing under NetBSD
(after possibly one initial setup with SunOS, before there is any
NetBSD label) you'll be fine.

kre