Subject: Re: misc questiosn about sun3
To: None <port-sun3@netbsd.org, schaecsn@gmx.de>
From: None <jwbirdsa@picarefy.picarefy.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 07/28/2001 03:07:36
   Most of picarefy.com consists of various Sun-3 models running 1.4.

   I have found through hard experience that even eight megabytes of RAM
is inadequate for running 1.4 diskless. A simple "ps -aux" would cause
several minutes of continuous network activity before producing any
output at all, and even when used purely as a server, it frequently
would pause for long periods. Sixteen megs works fine; twelve might, I
haven't tried that. On the other hand, if you put a disk on either of
your machines, 1.4 will run OK even in four megs, although I don't
recommend doing heavy compiles or anything. :) I have a pair of diskful
3/50s which make fine DNS servers.

   --James B.