Subject: Off topic? Operational considerations on Sun3 hardware?
To: None <port-sun3@netbsd.org>
From: Nathan Lane <nathan@daneel.textiles.org>
List: port-sun3
Date: 05/30/2001 22:37:59
I'm sorry if this is off topic...but I thought I'd ask here.  A hearty thanks
to all the netbsd developers for Sun3 equipment!  I'm basing an
"Early Internet Hardware" interpretive museum based on equipment dating back
to 1983, including quite a number of Sun3s, RS/6000s, Intel 286, Cisco
AGS, etc.  I want this to be an operational museum, with actual packets
flowing, lights blinking, etc.  Netbsd provides me all I need, but I'm
wondering if anyone has any long term experience operating these space
heaters now nearly 20 years old?  I've got Sun 3/60s, 3/50s, 3/110s and
other hardware but I'd hate to see them die because I didn't know
something critical about them.

I'm especially considered as to whether or not I should run them 24/7 or shut
them off everday?  I remember cleaning out 3/110 servers at UC Berkeley, but
I didn't keep track of the schedule since I didn't do it often.  The
PALs with pins stuck out and wirewrapped patches scare me too.

I think it'd be great to show the youngsters out there just how I saw
the Web in 1992 on a 3/60 with the 19" mono monitor and good 'ol NCSA
Mosaic.

I'm also interested in equipment heading for the dumpster; I know the
equipment is heavy, but I'd hate to see it go.  I know it's stereotypical,
but a working 9 track tape drive would be really great!

For any interested, I plan to open the museum in May of 2002 in
Butte, Montana, USA.

Thanks for any advice!

-Nathan Lane