Subject: Re: SUN 3 SCSI
To: None <port-sun3@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sun3
Date: 05/23/2001 16:01:59
>>> ...I'd like a machine I can fit a disk drive into.
>> That isn't a 3/60.
> I understood there was room to mount a 3.5" drive on the logic board
> (assuming disabled termination on the board, enabled it on the drive,
> and possibly soldering in a 50 pin header).

Well, I don't know if all -3/60s are the same in this respect.  But
every one I've looked at does indeed have a space about the right size
for a 3.5" drive, between the P4 connector and the VME-style connector
that feeds it power...and if it's not intended for a disk drive, the
placement of the holes in the board is the most amazing coincidence.
On the one I have at ready hand, there are two capacitors that would
need to have their leads bent so they're out of the way physically, but
that's a relatively minor point.

There are solder points (presumably indicating suitable vias, filled
with solder) behind the SCSI connector, placed as if for a 50-pin
ribbon cable header.  Many of them are connected to the SCSI
connector's solder points by etch runs on one of the visible surfaces;
I'd say it's a pretty sure bet that they're suited to a 50-pin SCSI
ribbon cable header.  I don't think I've ever seen a -3/60 with a
header soldered in place there, though, and unless you have fairly
elaborate soldering equipment I wouldn't suggest trying to solder one
in.  (Except possibly if you break it up and do one pin at a time, or
if you have desoldering equipment good enough to empty the vias.)

>> Yes.  Watch the TERMPWR pin on 3/60's - it is connected to ground,
>> and will fry anything that attempts to supply TERMPWR unless you
>> break the connection (usually in the connector).
> I noticed some question marks there on the pinout I have.  Thanks for
> the confirmation.  I'll beware of that (potentially nasty) one.

At one of my past workplaces we had a piece of ribbon cable one
conductor of which had heated enough to melt the plastic before fusing
open.  Someone had used it to connect a -3/60 to a device which
supplied TERMPWR, and the device was capable of pumping out a good deal
of current on that pin....

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign