Subject: seagate ST12400N won't spin up when connected to 3/60, will otw
To: None <port-sun3@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew Fredette <fredette@MIT.EDU>
List: port-sun3
Date: 05/21/2001 10:15:41
Hi.  I have a <SEAGATE, ST12400N SUN2.1G, 8720> in one of those Sun
Unipack enclosures.  I have a jumper on its ME (Motor Enable) pins.

When it's just sitting there on the desk, cabled to nothing, and I
power it up, the drive spins up.  If I connect it to my 3/60 and then
power it up, the drive does not spin up.  If I connect it to my 3/60
after I power/spin it up, the drive works just fine.

I'm using active termination, TERMPWR supplied by the drive.  Mindful
of the TERMPWR-shorted-to-ground issue on 3/60s, I took care to break
off the TERMPWR pin in the cable to the 3/60.

Does this make any sense to anyone?  It's a drag knowing that after
a power outage the machine won't autoboot.  Thanks -

Matt

--
Matt Fredette
http://mit.edu/fredette/www