Subject: Re: Netboot issues with a Sun 3/60
To: None <port-sun3@netbsd.org>
From: Logan Bowers <logan@datacurrent.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 05/12/2001 16:37:51
Yeah, my Linux machine thinks 137.112.203.255 is the broadcast address
(it is on a
class C), and setting it to 137.112.255.255 does take care of the
problem.  The
netbsd bootloader does ask for the netmask, but the kernel seems to
ignore it.  Do
you know if that is a bug or a design tradeoff?

I did finally get my two 3/60s to boot after hacking on the Xkernel
package and
borrowing some binaries from the full netbsd distro.  The Sun server
that came
with Xkernel-netbsd didn't find any frame buffers (I think because it is
a mono
server).  The only other X server I could find was from the net-bsd 1.4
distribution, but to get that to work I had to copy in ld.so, libc, etc.
and use
the kernel from full netbsd.  I'm guessing that this will hurt
performance, but
I'm not sure...

Also, the X server doesn't seem to handle color management very well.  I
also have
a SSII (all the machines have 8-bit frame buffers), and programs running
on it
(using Sun's Xserver) look MUCH nicer.  I'm thinking it is a property of
the
Xserver (SunOS can handle the color palette better) and if so, can
netbsd run
SunOS binaries?  If so, do any of you know where I can get a copy of a
Sun Xserver
binary for the Sun3?  If not, do you have any idea how I might be able
to tweak
the X server to get better color management?

I don't know if anyone out there still uses these machines, but I'd be
happy to
repackage my modified Xkernel setup and give it some decent instructions
as I know
I had to hack a bit on the current one to make it go (fix errors in the
shell
scripts, etc).

Logan Bowers