Subject: Re: Kernel vs. userland
To: None <jwbirdsa@picarefy.picarefy.com,>
From: Julian Coleman <jdc@coris.demon.co.uk>
List: port-sun3
Date: 12/23/2000 18:36:38
>    I have a 3/80 running 1.4, and I'd really like to drop in the 1.4.2
> fixed (no memory leak) kernel. Do I have to do a full upgrade to 1.4.2,
> or for a minor-rev difference like this can I just drop in the updated
> kernel?

You can just drop in the new kernel.  This is almost always the case and
always the case along a release branch.  The exception is when the kernel
needs (e.g.) COMPAT_14 to handle 1.4 syscalls and has been compiled without.
Generic kernels tend to have the COMPAT_NN code compiled in.

                    My other computer also runs NetBSD
                          http://www.netbsd.org/