Subject: Re: Sun 3/80 Headless?
To: Andy Ball <ball@cyberspace.org>
From: Mark Abene <phiber@radicalmedia.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 12/19/2000 17:51:42
On Tue, Dec 19, 2000 at 03:13:11AM -0500, Andy Ball wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I'm looking at a Sun 3/80 on ebay and I've read so much
> about them that I'm sorely tempted to pick one up.  If I
> can't afford a monitor straight away, could I use it
> headless with NetBSD?  Also, is it likely to work with a
> Quantum ProDrive ELS 170Mb fixed disk?
>
> Regards,
>   - Andy Ball.

It should work headless just fine.  You'll need a null modem connection to
the console port to initially get it going, and you'll need to stick an
active scsi terminator on the external scsi port if you're only going to use
an internal drive.  It's fussy that way.  I run 1.4.2 just fine on mine.
Be sure to apply the pmap.c kernel patch once you're up and running, to fix
a nasty memory leak problem.  And last but not least, if memory serves, you'll
want to use the boot.net from NetBSD 1.3, as the boot.net from 1.4 and later
seems to be broken on older machines.

Cheers,
-Mark