Subject: Re: miniroot.gz...
To: Gnea <gnea@rochester.rr.com>
From: Mark Abene <phiber@radicalmedia.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 09/16/2000 12:52:55
The latest ramdisk kernel that works on my 3/80 is netbsd 1.4.  Anything newer
panics the machine after I accept the default root and dump devices (md0*).
Anyway, my advice is to use the 1.4 ramdisk kernel.  Boot with the default
md0a etc. devices when it asks you.  When you get to the shell, use edlabel
to create a swap partition.  Use mount_nfs to mount the directory that has
miniroot in it (you have to gunzip it first on your nfs server).  I used the
miniroot from 1.4.2, since that's what I was installing.  Then use dd to
copy the miniroot into your new swap partition (rsd0b).
And finally, halt and boot from the swap partition ("b sd(,18,1)").
Of course, "18" assumes your drive is target 3.
That should be it.  Works fine for me.

-Mark