Subject: Re: Continuing sun3 nbsd142 funzies.....drive issues
To: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 06/02/2000 10:48:10
[ On Thursday, June 1, 2000 at 10:13:20 (-0400), NetBSD Bob wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Continuing sun3 nbsd142 funzies.....drive issues
>
> If I am reading the code correctly in scsiconf.c, scsibus_config_interrupts
> is calling scsi_probe_bus.  Where it should take 2 seconds to return
> with the information, on my drives, the DEC ones that don't spin up on
> NetBSD but do on SunOS, they sit for about 10-15 minutes, then return
> a REQ error of some sort.  If a reset were sent out before the call
> to probe, would that effectively force spin up of all drives?

but that's happening after the kernel is loaded.....

I was about to write:

    Does your boot drive always spin up?  I thought from your
    description you were having trouble getting the second stage boot
    loader to spin up the boot drive, in which case you're reading the
    wrong code if I understand things correctly....

then I smacked my forehead as I realised that if the first stage boot
loader had been read off the boot disk then it sure as heck must have
spun up!  ;-)  I was getting too involved in what the different stages
(PROM, 1st, 2nd, kernel probes) were doing to realise that you'd never
be getting past the word "Go" with SunOS either if the PROM hadn't at
least spun up the boot disk for you....

So, I now presume you're talking only about additional disks that should
be spun up by "START UNIT" commands sent during the kernel's start-up....

--
							Greg A. Woods