Subject: Re: Continuing sun3 nbsd142 funzies.....SUCCESS!!!!!
To: Julian Coleman <J.D.Coleman@newcastle.ac.uk>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-sun3
Date: 05/30/2000 14:54:05
> > NetBSD REQUIRES motor-on-spin-up at power-on on its HD'.  That is not
> > in the INSTALL.txt, nor in the README files!!!!  Can someone put a note
> > in the INSTALL.txt AND in the README file that you must jumper the HD's
> > to motor-on-spin-up at power-on, rather than motor-on-spin-up on command?
>
> Strange.  I have a 3/80 with two Sun424's in (actually Seagate 1480N's).
> Both are set to 'motor-on-spin-up on command'.  It boots from the first and
> there's a pause in the disk probing while the second spins up.  I haven't
> tried netbooting it though (I originally installed onto a pair of Quantums
> but swapped those out after I upgraded from 1.3.3).

That is not one of the VME crates.  I think it is different.  I once ran
a 3/80 on NetBSD, but I don't remember how the drives were set on it.
On the VME scsi things and on my 3/60, it has to have the motor on at
power on jumpers set, in my hands for NetBSD 1.4.2 to work.  Conversely,
sunos doesn't need them.  If there is something I am  missing or some other
explanation for the stalling attempts to read the scsi at bootup, do holler.
The only thing I changed was to put a drive jumpered for motor-on-spin-up
and it then ran NetBSD fine.  Could anything else explain what that might
be doing?  I may go round up a couple more drives and jumper them for
motor on and test them out.  The drive that did work was a Fujitsu M2622FA
jumpered for motor on at power on.  The 669mb and 327mb drives were
Micropolis drives from a DEC that are equivalent to the Sun 0669 and Sun
0327(?) drives, at least sunos took them to be that.

Thanks

Bob