Subject: Re: Problem with edlabel / HOWTO ??
To: Ralph Meyer <rmeyer@mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@MIT.EDU>
List: port-sun3
Date: 05/30/2000 12:08:34
<rmeyer@mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de> (Ralph Meyer) writes:

>i set up a sun 3/80 (sun3x) with netboot, the ramdisk kernel doesnt run, I
>installed as diskless and want to configure my harddisk

I just noticed this recently; apparantly nobody's tried installing a
3/80 or 3/470 lately. I'll try to have it fixed for the next snapshot.

What version or snapshot are you trying to install?

> /sd0 at scsibus0 targ 1 lun0 /Maxtor LXT200S 3.10 SCSI1/0 direct..
> with 191mb, 1320 cyl 7 head 512 sec. 392056 sectors.

This is incomplete.. Can you post the actual kernel probe output for
the disk? In particular, the sectors per track number is missing. You
should have something like (from my 3/80):

sd0 at scsibus0 targ 0 lun 0: <FUJUTSU, M2266S-512, 002C> SCSI1 0/direct fixed
sd0: 1029 MB, 1658 cyl, 15 head, 84 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 2107704 sectors

> but i dont know hot to use edlabel, if I configure it und run disklabel
> disklabel says part. out of range..

Edlabel isn't terribly intuitive, but it's not very complicated,
either. After running "edlabel /dev/rsd0c", the menu displays your
four options: print, modify, write, and quit. You should print the
current label, modify the label to match your desired partitioning
(20M for root (partition a), 32M for swap (partition b), and about
140M for /usr (any remaining partition, traditionally g), would be a
decent way to start). The partition sizes have to be entered in units
of cylinders for the firmware to be really happy about booting from
the disk.

For the sizes above, 140 cylinders for root, 220 cylinders for swap,
and 960 cylinders for /usr would work.

> the swap part (sd0b) ist not configured
> I can write to rsd0c and mount from it the miniroot image, but accessing
> produces errors.

Partition c conventionally represents the whole disk; you don't want
to be mounting it, in all liklihood. But what errors do you see?

> here the edlabel printout
> typ_num =4
> sub_typ =0
> type_name lxt200s
> pck_name

> b/s=512
> s/t=64
> t/c=16
> cy=20
> sec/cy=1024

These last four numbers look very wrong. Are they really what edlabel
prints? Does disklabel print the same thing? Complete output from the
programs would be helpful here.

        - Nathan