Subject: Re: Continuing sun3 nbsd142 funzies.....
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-sun3
Date: 05/26/2000 10:54:42
> > What is it with sun3's and NetBSD?????  I run it fine on my VAXen, MIPSen,
> > PeeCees, and Sparcs... but the fits these sun3 things give me almost makes
> > me wanna cry..... (yet they are so much fun to play with when they do run).
> > (:+}}...
>
> Well, I'm running a 3/60 without troubles ...

Darn... I wish I had your luck.  I spent about 8 hours last night rolling
tapes of every NetBSD sun3 release, and not one of them booted.  Yet,
sunos is running fine on it now.  All the tapes were fine, written on
my 4/360, so it is not the tapes.  I even went to the trouble to write
a combined sunos/netbsd tape, where I used sunos as the loader/kernel
to bring up a netbsd miniroot.  Originally, when the disk was first
put in the machine, it was from a non-sun environment.  That is when it
aborted to prom.   After I loaded sunos on it the first time, as a test,
and loaded miniroot from swap, the thing now stalls on the scsi timeouts
where the bus is supposed to settle.  The machine just totally locks up
at that point, require a poweroff reset.  Is there anything strange in
the proms that might make it problematic?  My prom was 2.8.3, but I just
loaded a 3.0.1 into it, for some testing, and that works fine with sunos.
I will try that on NetBSD, tonight.

I picked up another 3 dollar 3/60 today, this one with color output,
so I will compare that over the weekend, too, in case it is a machine
quirk.

Out of curiosity, has anyone actually loaded NetBSD-1.4.2 on a 3/60 with
tape?

If you have a Sun Wangtek or Archive tape on yours, could you try booting
from it and see if it stalls?

I will get this critter up.... I will.... I will.....(:+{{.....

Thanks

Bob