Subject: Re: Continuing sun3 nbsd142 funzies.....
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-sun3
Date: 05/25/2000 16:35:44
> > Well, after perusing the spare parts bins, and spreadeagling drives between
> > here and neverneverland, I managed to eek out one more working 60mb drive,
> > and was attempting to bring up baby (Sun 3/60).  Alas, there are no console
> > devices in the boot kernels!  and it aborts to prom on NetBSD-1.4.2.
>
> What does exactly say the kernel ? What console are you using (keyboard+display
> or serial) ?
> I suspect something like incorrect prom settings

Nope, it is the booting kernel from what I can tell.  Sunos boots and runs
fine.  The machine is 24mb using the standard mono screen and sun0669 hd at
id 0 or 3, and sun 60mb tape at id 4.  The boot tapes are made from
the standard scripts or by hand.  The kernel tape loads and then boots
and then immediately says something about it can't find a console device,
and then it aborts to prom.  Something to this effect had been discussed
earlier on the list, possibly by me, but I couldn't backtrack to it in my
files.  That is why I was asking about exactly which kernel to use on
the boot tape.  I will run it up again, when I get home and make sure
I do write down the particulars.  This also happened on my 3/260.
There I had to load Sunos, then the 1.4.2 minroot in swap and boot that.
The tape install did not work in 1.4.2 at all on the 3/260.  But, the
1.4.2 was the first NetBSD that ran correctly at all by any boot method
on my 3/260 box.  I was hoping the 3/60 was a little less problematic
than the 3/260, from what everyone has said on the net lists.  I have
been trying for several years to get working NetBSD's up on my sun3
boxes, and I am a very happy camper that it now works fine on the 3/260.
I tried cloning its boot HD via dumping, to use on the 3/60, but that
did not work for some reason, yet the 3/260 ran it up fine.  Then it
was a tape try, with the console device problems.

What I plan to try tonight is a minimal sunos install with a netbsd-1.4.2
miniroot in swap and then boot that.  That should give me the best
chance of success.

What is it with sun3's and NetBSD?????  I run it fine on my VAXen, MIPSen,
PeeCees, and Sparcs... but the fits these sun3 things give me almost makes
me wanna cry..... (yet they are so much fun to play with when they do run).
(:+}}...

Bob